February 10, 2009

Good Chicken Book



I have been reading our collection of chicken books, which I should admit right away we did not buy.  Most of our friends and relatives think it’s a great idea to give us a chicken book.  Majority of those books are pretty bad, especially “101 Chicken Recipes”, which was a joke, but still, a bad book.  However, once in a while we get a good book – Living with Chickens!  

It is simply written.  It gives you a break down of cost, sizes, numbers, square feet, and many other concrete numbers and details.  I like numbers, I understand numbers.  When somebody says that I will need $X for feed to raise X number of chickens to X pounds, I get it.  The book talks about different options of growing your chickens – buying baby chicks, hatching chicks from eggs, and getting chicken from other people/sources.  I like how simple, detailed, and organized the book is.  

It talks about birth and death of birds.  The author doesn’t shy away from unglamorous moments of chicken lives – butchering.  The book also mentions how things are done on a small farm vs. big outfits.  It also doesn’t claim to have answers to all your questions.  

The best feature – chicken pictures.  If you ever tried to take a picture of a chicken, you will understand.  Chickens are worse than children, they also move faster than you ever imagine.  I am an adult, but I like books with pictures!  

I would highly recommend people, especially beginners, to read this book.  If you are into farming romanticism and funny anecdotes, then this book is not for you.  If you are serious about chickens, check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment