February 27, 2009

Best Food Writing 2005 and Chickens



It is about love, adventure, science, fiction, food, family, friends, random people, tradition and rebellion, obsessions and snobbery, and, most importantly, chickens!  This is the first book in the series I picked up.  I have been reading cookbooks for years, like many of us.  I have never read about cooking as life and art.  I have never seen food as a subject of affection, hate, and other strong emotions.  This is a book you take on a long trip.  The book has everything I ever wanted from a book – references to places, cafes, restaurants, books, cookbooks, historical/biological/chemical facts, cost of food, people, recipes, and solid cooking and non-cooking advice. 

Let me give you examples:

1.     Apples come from Kazakhstan.  Not many people know it.  Gina Mallet (As Asian As Apple Crumble) does. 

2.     The book talks about places I have been to and am nearby right now.  It makes me want to go places.

3.     Most importantly, it talks about chickens – killing a chicken (Killing Dinner), making an omelette baveuse (The Count and I), fried chicken in Georgia and Tennessee,  (A Sonnet in Two Birds), Nashville’s hot chicken (Some Like it Extra Hot), roast chicken at Zuni CafĂ© in San Francisco (Quintessential Californian), and chicken feet dim sum, which I love (Appendix: A Taste of Blogworld).

It’s too bad it’s only 317 pages long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment