February 5, 2009

Food Budget for 2009

Putting a budget together didn’t take that much time.  The total came to $32,160.00.  I allocated $3,000 for food, which doesn’t include going out or take-outs.  I tried to make sure my budget is under the Washington State Food Program indicators. 

Checking how realistic my budget is took a little bit more.  People in my zip code make on average $41,305.  You can see a profile of your neighborhood here, just enter your zip code.  EatingWell website is reporting that average income now is even less, $37,388, and people spend $3,666 on food annually.  It is very possible I will go over the budget by $2,000 due to price increases.  However, my spending from 2001-2008 on food did not go over $3,200 per year.  What I really need to watch is eating out and take out expenses.

I am sure there are many more ways to double-check your budget vs. reality.  I have been known to study new Federal Poverty Income Guidelines as they come out.  But budgets don’t have to be so severe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment