February 6, 2009

Farm vs. Metropolitan Market

Farmer Boy and I have a constant conversation about our farm share.  He believes he can grow everything we get from the farm cheaper.  I believe him, he probably can.  However, at this point I do not think it’s cost-efficient to grow it in our garden, which was destroyed by our chickens (they do eat everything).  Another theme was to cancel the share and buy it from a store, while our garden is under development.  So I decided to shop and compare.  Our weekly share costs about $34.  All items are organic and locally grown.  I am not including the time it takes to drive to the farm and back, and the cost of gas.  It is approximately the same if I drove to a grocery store and back (plus gas).  I couldn’t find everything we get from the share at Trader Joe’s, which is the closest grocery store to me.  I was also curious about one of the most expensive stores in our area – Metropolitan Market. 

 

My visit to Met Market was short.  I was impressed by the variety of items.  Now I know where to find really weird and exotic things.  However, the prices are overwhelming.  People were shopping there, so I guess it works for them.  I wrote down all the prices for my weekly share, but I forgot to look up 0.5 lbs of salad mix.  Not all the items at Met Market were marked as organic and/or locally grown.  I understand that it is not a fair comparison.

 

4 pears (apprx. 7 oz each – 1.75 lbs) X $1.99 = $3.48

12 apples (apprx. 8 oz each – 6 lbs) X $2.49 = $14.94

2 lbs of potatoes X $1.99 = $3.98

1.3 lbs of carrots X $1.79 = $2.33

0.8 lbs rutabaga X $1.79 = $1.43

1.4 lbs beets X $1.79 = $2.5

0.9 lbs parsnip X $2.99 = $2.7

0.4 lbs sunchoke X $7.99 = $3.2

4 onions (apprx. 7 oz each – 1.75 lbs) X $1.49 = $2.61

1 bunch of chards X $2.99 = $2.99

3 lbs wheat berries X $1.99 = $5.97

2 lbs of frozen blueberries X $4.66 = $9.32

Total = $55.45 + 0.5 lbs of salad mix.  I would say $58 easily.

 

So, Terry’s Berries - $34 vs. Metropolitan Market - $58.  I feel the share from the farm wins.  However, Farmer Boy thinks we get things from the farm, which we don’t eat and it goes to waste.  We both might be right.  Money-wise the farm is better.  Plus, it really makes me cook more greens and less meat.  However, if I shop at Met, I would probably eat less.  We don’t know how to resolve the veggie issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment