January 10, 2009

January 8 – Happy New Mochi!




Mochi is a must for a New Year’s celebration!  In our household, it’s chocolate mochi!  It is not really mochi, it’s more brownies with some mochi consistency.  I used the recipe from “Hawaii’s Best Mochi Recipes” by Jean Watanabe Hee.  My new range didn’t die, I love it!!!


I got our share from Terry’s Berries.  I didn’t understand the saying “It tastes like food”, till we started eating organic food.  We got apples, pears, beets, carrots, cabbage, choice of bunch of kale, collards, potatoes, garlic, onions, winter squashes, turnips, and a bag of salad.  I would encourage everyone to support your local farms.  They don’t even need to be organic.  I don’t think we will ever get to biodiversity if we reject your plain everyday diversity.  Puyallup valley houses many different farms, which are disappearing.  The recent flooding wiped out the Yoshi Koi Farm.  I hope they come back. 

What I made from it – no pork winter minestrone, no meat Caesar salad, butternut bisque, baked winter squash (served as dessert with ice-cream), apple butter, and cranberry apple butter (added cranberries and 1 cup brown sugar).  I also made waffles from a box (we had milk that went sour, so I needed to do something with it) and fudge, and baked cornbread (that sour milk is still sour).

What I really need to do is sit down and think of basic dishes I should be able to make from scratch for the whole year.  I noticed this week I kept running out to pick up two or three things at a time.  I wasted time and gas, not good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment