January 10, 2009

January 3 – Itty Bitty Chicken Committee

The year started with new baby chicks.  A hen laid 12 eggs, which have been hatching on different days.  A hen can abandon unhatched eggs, if she feels she has enough chicks.  That’s why Farmer Boy brought the hatched babies in to let mama chicken to finish hatching all live eggs.  I spent two days doing nothing, but watching baby chicks learn how to drink and eat.  Farmer Boy already thinks he knows which ones are boys!  It is impossible to determine chickens’ gender so early.  However, he is convinced that he knows just by watching their behavior.  We used to have an orphan baby chick, which, according to Farmer Boy, was a rooster!  100% boy!  He was so convinced, till his rooster laid an egg!


Talking about eggs.  Farmer Boy set a rule long time ago – no buying eggs.  However, chickens don’t lay eggs as much in winter.  I found myself with no eggs at all for holiday baking.  So I broke the rule, first time in about 4 years.  It felt like cheating - I didn’t know the hen, which laid them, and didn’t know the day they were laid.  I am an egg snob! 

No comments:

Post a Comment