August 2, 2009

Buying poultry

Photo: nukeit1

Here is another article on buying poultry from Wisebread - Supermarket Angst Part III: How to Buy Better Poultry. I can't put it better - community agriculture is the way to go. You have to go and see for yourself where your chicken comes from. You need to visit your meat, ask questions. The more you know, the better you eat.

However, growing chickens moved us closer to being vegetarians. Farmer Boy is a meatarian. He likes his steak. But if you look at our consumption of meat since he got chickens - we eat less meat. I still buy turkey and chicken meat from Costco and organic black Angus (once a year) from Trader Joe's. Overall, we eat less meat. Part of it, I signed up for Terry's Berries farm share (about $28-30 a month). We get a lot of veggies and fruits, which forces us to eat it all within the same week. It also simplified my cooking and spending. I am forced to cook and eat what we already get.

No comments:

Post a Comment